Awards and International Recognition
Awards and UN recognition for the Kingdom and its SDGs initiatives:
- HM King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa was awarded the United Nations Industrial Development Award (UNIDO) in 2016 in appreciation of his vision of economic empowerment of women and youth in the Kingdom of Bahrain, and in honour of his development strategy and achievements.
- The late Prime Minister, HRH Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa was honoured by the World Health Organization in May 2019 as a global leader who made great contributions to the field of health. The award recognized his vision, ideas, policies, and initiatives, and that his successes and achievements serve as models to be followed by other countries. The award also came in recognition of his outstanding contribution to achieving SDGs related to combating noncommunicable diseases, and for his interest in achieving the highest health standards, preventing diseases, and preserving the health of citizens and residents in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- The late Prime Minister, HRH Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa granted his 2016 Sustainable Development Award to Tanzania’s Minister of Land, Housing and Human Settlements Developments and the former Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Program, Professor Anna Tibaijuka, for her outstanding contribution in supporting countries' sustainable development efforts.
- The International Telecommunication Union awarded the late Prime Minister, HRH Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa the Information and Communication Technology in Sustainable Development Award for 2015 in recognition of Bahrain's progress in the telecommunications sector and its harnessing of information and communication technology in the field of sustainable development.
- The United Nations awarded the late Prime Minister, HRH Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa the Millennium Development Goals Award in 2010 in recognition of his contributions towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals and turning them into reality.